Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Who are/were your role models

After a long day of class and business presentations, I came home late last Thursday. It was around seven in the evening. Usually, as soon as I open the door, the first sound that hits my ears is; “Hi daddy, how was your day?” But today was different, I heard no sound. That was unusual, and right away, parental thoughts went through my mind. I dropped my laptop and stepped into the living room hurriedly and said; “Are you ok my dear?” “Yes Aabo.” My daughter’s sweet voice replied.

My little daughter likes reading and surfing the net, and usually like this time, she is either on-line or doing her home work. But today I found her watching the television attentively. I looked at the TV to make sure that she was watching the right stuff (parental guide ... you know). I found nothing out of the ordinary and I let her continue watching. After the episode came to an end, I asked her about it. She explained this and that and concluded that the young actors were her role models. I nodded to hint my approval. Then, all of a sudden, she threw a million dollar question to me and said; “daddy, who were your role models while you were growing up?” I paused for a moment to collect myself and immediately managed to put some sentences together.

“My dear, in my young years in Borama, my role models were not TV personalities, but real people whom I used to see every day live” I said. While I was struggling on putting some thoughts together, registries of millions of childhood events were showing as a series of flashbacks in my mind. As my mind was getting busier second after second, I was startled by her demand of wanting to hear more about my role models in my young years.

As fast as I am approaching to my senior years, and as much as I heard and urged about role modeling, I have never imagined myself in a situation where I would be asked about my role models, and here I was scratching my head, gathering anything that would make sense to avoid disappointing her.

My sweet heart, I said; throughout my young years in Borama, I was surrounded by role models. My parents had more influence for good. By setting good examples of living, they helped me make healthy choices in my life. Their values, opinions, and examples carried more weight with me than they might have thought. I grew up in a home filled with love, affection and cooperation. My parents, brothers and sisters had a lot of influence on me in becoming the person I am now – your dad. My dear, I learned a lot from my peers, those who were older than me, my teachers, friends and class mates. Those who are alive are scattered around the world with different professions now. They are doctors, engineers, professors, bankers, businessmen, parliamentarians, a president and more.

As soon as she heard president, she excitedly said; “a president was one of your role models?” That is right, I replied, president Rayale of Somaliland was one of those older than me and a good friend of my elder brother. She then repeated the same question twice and I nodded both times. I then intercepted her in the third attempt and said; “my dear, I did not say Clinton! She looked at me for a moment and in a soft voice said; “right,” as if she understood what I meant and walked away. She immediately turned back and inquired the possibilities of inviting for a dinner so that she meets my role models. “Fantastic idea my dear, may be one day” I replied. She paused for a moment and then, smiling and pointing her fore-finger to me said; “your one day?” I smiled back and said; “you got it!”

As much as I admire role modeling, it never occurred to me at any time to sit down with myself and whole heartedly ask and figure out how I was influenced to become the person I am now. My daughter’s questions paved the way and I decided to give it a shot and identify in real terms those who were worthy of imitation in my younger years. Distinguished readers, I here by share with you those from whom I learned much. In the following I will be naming names and I ask for their forgiveness for not taking permission. Gentlemen, I wanted to do so but could not know your e-mails. I there fore must confess that I used your names because of my reliability on your understanding. Waan isku kiin haleeyey!!!

I have been privileged to have positive role models through out my life, from my daughter who always reminds me what is really important in life, to my wife who encourages me to use the power of my mind. My father (allaha u naxariistee) a World War II veteran (French army), had the most influence on me. He always stressed more on education and discipline. He taught me the value of education and always encouraged me to respect others as I would like to be respected. My mother taught me to not set limits on what I could do. She always inspired me to try to live up to my potential. And I always remember her saying; “Waxaan laga hadhin waa la helaa...”


In my family, learning was a trigger up and down for me. I learned from my elder brother how to respect those younger than him and I in turn exercised that to my younger siblings. I learned how to respect older ones from my younger sisters and brother and triggered up that respect to my elder brother. My sisters taught me how to love each other and safe guard the family bond. I remember their sayings which they still use to-date in their e-mails. “Walaalo is jecel allaa jecel” is always their slogan. My younger brother was always active and tough. I learned from him to be tough in difficult times. He never complained and always managed to find his own ways to go through. His actions always reminded me the saying; “when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.” And believe me there were times I made use of the toughness I learned from him.

In our younger years in Borama, my generation was surrounded by positive role models (Awdal genius). It is a sure thing that those older than us were good role models. They helped us focus and direct the growth of our abilities to unlock our untapped potential. Love of learning is among other practices we learned from them. We learned from them values, such as going to school regularly and respecting others (the Awdal way). They helped us to develop our abilities. They made us see the possibilities within ourselves.

My generation had been privileged to have positive role models. I remember each and every one of those gentlemen whom we looked up to. I wanted to refresh my remembrance and called my best friends in Ottawa that we grew up together Mr. Ali Muse Kahiye and Mr. Dayib Aw Hassan Habane. We got together the next day and I asked them if they can name any of those they consider as good role models while we were growing up in Borama. To my amazement, they named exactly those I had in mind. Among those they named right away were the lords (as they were nick named at the time):

Dr. Abdishakur Sheikh Ali Jowhar, Dr Suleiman Walhad, Dahir Rayale (President of Somaliland), Ahmed Abdi Dugsiye (my elder brother), Farah Jilal, Mohamed Abdi Douksieh, Hussein Dahir Obsiiye, and many more.

I then asked them if there is any thing in particular that they can remember of them. My friend Ali Muse mentioned that he admired how fashionable they were and respectful to every body. He also mentioned how they valued education and how they were intelligent. My friend Dayib went into details and talked about instances, and concluded how we the younger generation took over the town after they graduated and moved to the then far away land of Banadir and beyond. We talked and talked about events and had fun the whole day. We remembered our teachers at the time who taught us with out any reservations like younger brothers. Among our respected teachers were:

Ibrahim Ayeh (Jimmy), Abdiwahab Sheikh Ali Jowhar, Hussein Jama (mareykan), Mohamed Dubad, and many more.

There was no shortage of role models in Borama in my younger years. I learned a lot from friends too. Dr. Saeed Walhad was a good friend from whom I learned the value of learning. Ali Jama Ali (Ali Geele) and Dr.Mohamed Hashi Abiib were my class mates (form 4B) from whom I learned how to compete for the top grades. There were those in later years I admired while in Abudhabi. Bashir Goth, Abdi Barkhad, Ali Bahar and Hassan I. Kheyre were among the elites who were looked up to. There were also those who were always away in the far and away land of Mogadishu whom we never met but whose names were house holds. Dr. Mohamed Nuh and Sheikh Mohamed Hadi were among them and were always considered as positive role models.

Gentlemen, I and my friends Ali and Dayib gave you top marks for your role modeling. You were all positive role models and you demonstrated self respect and self esteem with healthy actions and there fore increased our self-esteem. You helped us build morals and positive values. You provided examples for us to follow showing that our dreams and goals can be fulfilled. The way you lived appealed to us and we emulated it. Your role modeling affected us in a way that made us better people. We watched you and learned from you a lot (the Awdal way). You helped us to become the persons we are today. You taught us the world.

I salute you and thank you for the positive influences you had on those of us growing up in your prime times in Awdal. My Salutations also go to those many I did not mention their names but surely had done the same positive role modeling. I hear by acknowledge those many who are no longer with us and who were positive role models and I pray for them; Eebe (SW) naxariistii jano ha siiyo, qabrigana u iftiimiyo (Aamiin). Lastly Gentlemen; remember that my daughter invited you all for a dinner “one day.”

P/S As we say; “awrba awrka ka horeeya buu socodkiisa leeyahee” I wonder if my generation had any influence on those younger than us in shaping the persons they are now. Please share with us and let us know how we did.

Suleiman Abdi Dugsiye
Ottawa, Canada

2 comments:

Rich said...

In retrospect my role model was my father although it may sound cliche. We had our struggles growing up. There are times in my adult life that I have thought I learned more of how not to act from him. However, my dad was a good man.

He was from a different generation and seemed to still live in that world. He treated people with the simple respect that is lacking among strangers today. The treated his friends like they were irreplaceable (and yet teased them mercilessly). he made you smile and feel important - because he cared about what you had to say. He was a fair businessman who never cheated a customer, yet was cheated on more than one occasion. He loved his two sons and placed them above all else. For example, in the last few months of his battle with cancer he braved a long painful trip just that he could be the best man at my wedding.

I am grateful for his role modeling what a good man is. My wife looks at me and tells me that I am a good man and I silently thank my father.

A year ago I sat by his side. The cancer had ravaged him and his fight was over. He held my hand and smiled. No regrets. No remorse. No lost opportunities. Even in death he role modeled grace and elegance.

Falanqayn said...

Qormadan waxan akhriyay barigii aad soo daabacaday. Laakin maankayga xusuus iyo dheeh gaar bay ku yeelatay.
Maalinkii aan akhriyay arday jaamacadeed baan ahaa, oo dal shisheeye jooga. Hadeer wali dal shisheeye ayaan joogaa, oo aan hoy ka dhigtay. walibana xaasle iyo waalid baan noqday, ilaahay mahadii.

Laakiin 15ka gu' ee qormadan ka soo wareegtay, haddana wali jawaab kaafi ah oo aan ka bogta umaan helin su'aasha ah. Who are my role models.

Laftaydu Boorama iyo Hargeisa ayaan ku barbaaray, Aabahay marka laga reebana , ma garanayo qof ii noqday tusaale aan hiigsadao oo aan ku dhaato ama faano.

Mudane Dugsiiye, Markaan jawaabta soo helo xagan baan soo dhigi doonaaa..